Vista del Gran Río Térraba y la desembocadura al mar

Vista del Gran Río Térraba  y la desembocadura al mar

miércoles, 12 de octubre de 2011

La droga perfecta

They say that caffeine is a drug. Although by no means am I addicted, I have to say that there is nothing better than sitting down and sharing an afternoon cup of coffee with some great friends in my community. The “cafecito” is one of my favorite and most appreciated aspects of the Costa Rican culture. Even though coffee production is definitely not one of the agricultural activities in my community, as I live in a tropical climate, the afternoon café is still quite ingrained as one of the daily activities.

I love having cafecitos with friends, chatting about a range of subjects - from politics to differences and similarities between US and Tico cultures – and munching on a piece of cheese, bread, or tortilla. It’s even better during Christmas when families and friends are making tamales. ¡Qué rico! Under the influence of café, I have had some of my most memorable conversations with my Tico friends and counterparts. We even come up with new and ambitious project ideas. I usually finish my cafecito feeling like I am on top of the world and that I can help organize any event or work with any mini-empresario. The cafecito is also a time to reflect and can be relaxing.

There is an essence to sharing café and conversing one-on-one with family members or friends. The cafecito could help me sum up what my experience in the Peace Corps is about, which is collaborating and working with people. When my time in the Peace Corps finishes, I’m going to miss the cafecito and look back on it nostalgically, not necessarily for the café or the tortillas, but for the friendships and relationships that having the cafecito helped form.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario