Vista del Gran Río Térraba y la desembocadura al mar

Vista del Gran Río Térraba  y la desembocadura al mar

miércoles, 17 de agosto de 2011

Ode to Gallo Pinto

Gallo pinto is a classic Costa Rican dish, usually eaten for breakfast, which consists of rice and beans mixed together with chopped onion, red pepper, and cilantro. Of course, one cannot forget to throw in a little Salsa Lizano, a Costa Rican brand sauce, which if not added, would probably not be gallo pinto. Although it varies from person to person, garlic is also sometimes added. I have to admit, I am a fanatic of the pinto, especially for breakfast. For me, there is nothing better than a plate of gallo pinto, a slice of cheese or an egg, tortilla, and a large cup of warm café in the morning. If the pinto is well-made, I could honestly eat it for lunch and dinner as well.

Ironically, even when I am living by myself, I still like to fix myself gallo pinto. However, my pinto is made with an “estilo gringo.” I use the above ingredients, however I also like to use lots of fresh spices from my garden, such as fresh ginger, turmeric, lemon grass, basil, cilantro, and oregano. I know, lots of spices, but since I am growing them, why not use them? It only adds to the taste. Also, for the pinto to have a little kick, I also throw in a small chile pepper and a piece of garlic. That’s my version of the traditional gallo pinto. It’s one of the many customs that I will definitely take back with me to the U.S. after I finish the Peace Corps.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario